THE HISTORY WILL BE PUBLISHED IN THE VILLAGE DESIGN STATEMENT WHICH WHEN COMPLETE CAN BE ACCESSED FROM THIS SITE. THE FOLLOWING IS AN EXCERPT FROM THE DOVER MUSEUM ARCHIVE.
Parish and Village 4.57 miles south-west of Deal
1801 – 134 in 24 dwellings
1821 – 154
1831 – 64
1841 – 160 in 36 houses
1901 – 104
1921 – 144
Principal Landowners in 1850 John, Joseph and William Marsh. Industry is almost entirely farming, chiefly wheat, barley and oats. One public house, ‘The Boot Inn’ (short lived)
The Manors of Northbourne and Ripple are also partly in this parish.
In 1800 the village elected 2 borsholders (Borough Head or Parish Constable), one for East Sutton Borough (under the Manor Court of Ripple) and one for Sutton Borough (under the Manor Court of Northbourne). The Manor Court of Sutton was defunct
Church of St. Peter and St. Paul
Norman, in flint and stone. Nave, side aisle and chancel. 100 seats. Belfry and one bell. Partly destroyed by earthquake on 6th April 1680. Living from a Rectory annexed to Little Mongeham. Partly rebuilt in 1860’s by Ashpitel. Jacobean Pulpit.
John Foche died 1611 left annuity charged on Upper Farm to be used to repair the church and provide relief for the village poor
Mr. Cushire left 2.5 acres of land in Sholden to Sutton Parish, the rent of which to be spent on coals for the village poor.
Manor of East Sutton or Sutton Court
Anciently held by Hugh Soldanks by Knights Service to Henry III (1216 – 1272). Passed to Stephen Soldanks under Edward I (1272 – 1307); then to John Wyborne; then to the Abbot and Convent of St Augustine; then to John Master on Dissolution in 1535; then to Wiseman family; then to John Fynch; then to Den family
The Den’s built a new Manor House or Mansion inn a field east side of village (remains still extant in 1847), The house and manor then passed to the Foche family; then the Hussey family; then to Sir Robert Furnese of Waldershare (died 1733) then to Viscount St. John via his wife Anne Furnesse; to their son who became Viscount Bolingbroke in 1751; then to his son George, Viscount Bolingbroke, who sold the manor and estate to Thomas Garside of Deal
Sutton Farm or Winkleton (anciently Winkleland).
Held by St. Augustines Monastery. It was owned by Henry de Cobham under Edward I (1272-1307); then the Stroude family; then the Criol family and via Sir Thomas Criols daughter Alice to her husband John Fogge. Sold by his son to Whitlock; then Richard Maycott (died 1516); then the Stokes family; then Edward Merriweather; then to the Churchills of Dorset. Sold in 1785 by Churchill family to William Baldock of Canterbury who in 1786 old it to Joseph Marsh
Adjoins Sutton Court estate. Owned by Foche family since 16th century. Passed to William Verrier who died in 1710. Passed to his granddaughter Susan, wife of Thomas Atkin. Their daughter Margaret sold it to William Marsh of Walmer
Hamlet in Parish of Little Mongeham
2 miles south-west of Little Mongeham. Parish church disappeared in antiquity (remains visible in 1847). Annexed to Sutton Church.
Part of the Manor of Mongeham, given by Aldric, King of Kent, to St Augustines Monastery in 760, passing to the Archbishop of Canterbury
1847 William Fagg listed as blacksmith and beerhouse owner at East Studdal
One pub, Three Horseshoes
Hamlet in the Parish of Northbourne. 1801 15 houses listed with Ashley farm it was part of the old parish of Northbourne it included Minacre,West Studdal and Napchester.It formed part of the estate of the Archbishop of Canterbury.
4 miles south-west of Northbourne on the Malmains Downs
Northbourne Parish Church
Baptist Chapel in village with 125 seats
Eastling wood was dated by the Forestry commission as 400 years old.
West Studdal belonged for many generations to the Harvey family of Tilmanstone; then to Sir Henry Furnese of Waldershare in 1707; then to Sir Edward Dering; then to Solley of Sandwich; then to Thomas Parke of Deal; then to James Methurst Pointer; then to Laurence Dilnot.
There is evidence from archaelogical finds on Sutton Hillthat there was settlement here in the Mesolithic period [4000BC-8000BC]Data from the old Royal commission for historic monuments have evidence on the chalklands around Sutton of cropmark sites mostly unexcavated and dating from prehistoric/Roman times John.firstname.lastname@example.org KCC Heritage group hold transcripts of such information.The light chalky soils in the Parish attracted the earliest farmers 3000BC but with evidence of flint implements found activity in the area may go back 250.000 years.Origons of settlement lie not at Ashley,Studdal or Sutton but on a now isolated block of downland near the site of Broom bungalows. Her was a large Iron Age and Roman farmstead/village occupied from 300BC to 400AD. It was partially excavated a few years ago. An Anglo-Saxon settlement also occurred in the Parish but apart from a possible cemetery nothing is known of the site .
From church records we know an earthquake occurred in the area on April 6th 1580 This brought down part of the church. The church is the oldest building in the parish the stone carving around the north doorway dates it in style from 1120 AD-1130AD but it was possible that this church was built on an Anglo-Saxon church site so documents a church guide by Rector Rev. A.E.Taylor 1937.